E.L. Haynes has done some significant upgrades to our facilities and to our process and procedures to ensure the safety of our staff, students and families during the COVID-19 pandemic. As we welcome more students back beginning April 26, 2021, here is some additional information regarding those changes and updates.
Air Quality and Filtration
We have invested significant resources in updating and improving our air quality and filtration to exceed industry standards and health and safety recommendations.
- To improve access to fresh air in our buildings, we flush the HVAC system every morning with new fresh air and open windows when weather allows
- Our updated HVAC system exceeds industry recommendations, and uses MERV 13 filtration equipment
- We installed mobile HEPA filter units with UV lights in every classroom, office, and common spaces
Cleaning and Disinfecting Surfaces
Rigorous safety protocols and regular cleanings and sanitization are among the first line of defense in protecting our school communities.
- Throughout the day, our onsite maintenance teams regularly clean and sanitize all high touch surfaces
- Deep clean and sanitize our facilities every night. Once per week, they complement these deep cleans with a sanitizing mist and a UV-C light to disinfect surfaces.
- Installed sanitizing stations at all main entrances, as well as outside large common spaces, hallways, and stairwells
- Converted water fountains into water bottle filling stations so that common fountains are not used
Process and Procedures
To support the health and safety processes of the school, we have adapted certain process and procedures to combat the spread of the COVID-19
- Arrival Procedures: Student arrival procedures will be staggered to limit the number of people arriving at the same time, and to limit crowds. Families will not be able to enter buildings during drop-off. For our youngest students, a staff member will meet students at the doors and escort them to their classrooms.
- Daily Health Screenings: All students and adults who enter the building will have their temperature checked, and they will answer a brief health and travel questionnaire. Any individual exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms will not be allowed to enter the buildings.
- Lunch Procedures: All lunch periods will take place in classrooms.
- Departure Procedures: Like arrival procedures, we will also stagger student departures to limit crowding.
- Testing Procedure: We are finalizing our testing procedure in advance of our welcoming students back on April 26. Check back here for more information soon.